Saturday, July 21, 2012

Safeties, I'm Like "f*** you!"



So in the last piece I wrote , I bragged on the accuracy and handling of my Para LTC. But there is another side to her. I experienced a failure I've never seen before. I had the slide locked back from shooting the second to last string, so I slapped in a magazine and racked the slide. But nothing happened. The slide lurched about 1/4" forward and stopped with a round partially in the chamber. So I did tap-rack-bang. But I got to "rack" and nothing happened. I locked the slide back, dropped the mag, and inspected the breech face and chamber. The firing pin was protruding about 1/4" out of the breech face. Why? Because the of the stupid Series 70 firing pin safety. I was able to replicate the failure when I got home and started playing with the slide. I don't know how to remedy it, and I'm going to be in contact with Controlled Chaos Arms to see if it can be removed.

The firing pin safety is useless in a 1911 because the firing pin is sprung from the front. Plus, modern firing pins are lightweight. So you'd have to get one hell of a fall with the impact directly in line with the muzzle to force a slamfire. WTF is with gun companies heaping safeties on their guns? Is it just lawyers making the calls? It's annoying, and I'm starting to get a little pissed about it.

Lawyers have also ruined late-model concealed carry guns like the LC9, S&W Bodyguard, and S&W Shield by putting manual safeties, mag safeties, safety safeties, etc on them. It's a carry gun! The whole point is to fire quickly, not see how many safeties you can disable before your attacker finally kills you!

Get rid of the damn safeties!!!!


No comments: